Natto doesn’t have the most popular smell in the world!! but I wonder how many people know of the health benefits that natto is purported to have? Perhaps, the smell of natto can be forgotten if you think about the following 10 suggestions promoting natto as a health food ……?
Natto is one of my favourite foods!
1. Did you know that natto’s distinctive smell comes from the compound pyrazine which reduces the likelihood of blood clotting?
2. And a 2009 study in Taiwan suggested that natto could provide treatment for amyloid-type diseases such as Alzheimer’s!
3. Another really interesting point about nattō is that it contains large amounts of vitamin K. Great for helping to prevent osteoporosis.
4. Natto also helps suppresses excessive immune reactions, due to the large quantity of polyamine.
5. Nattō contains many chemicals alleged to prevent cancer, for example natto has daidzein, genistein, isoflavone, phytoestrogen, and the chemical element selenium.
5. It is suggested that nattō may have a cholesterol-lowering effect.
6. Nattō is also said to have an antibiotic effect
In 2007 there was a ‘run’ on natto when these health benefits were ‘leaked’ on Japanese television !!!
7. Nattō is claimed to prevent obesity
8. It is claimed that natto helps improve digestion – although the felt variety probably won’t do the job!!
9. Natto reduces the effects of aging – good to hear!!!
10. It helps in hair loss in men due to its phytoestrogen content – spread the word?
Nattō is also sometimes used as an ingredient of pet food, and it is claimed that this improves the health of the pets. Interesting stuff!
Thanks to Wiki some insights into natto! Do you like natto?